EXCLUSIVE LPAT speaking past paper sample script with comments so you understand what HKEAA expects. The writer of the passage scored LPAT level 4-5 for his writing exam.
The LPAT Challenge
In writing, markers look for good vocab, grammar, organization and task completion. Make it easier for them to give you high marks with this EXCLUSIVE script.
What you get
Take a look at the EXCLUSIVE script. Typed. Two A4 pages. Full of grammar and vocab items that you can use in your own exam.
How this helps
Use this as a template and understand what HKEAA is looking for.
Comes with very detailed comments about the good practices used in the script.
A taste of what you get-- the script
I am not saying that ICT is a panacea to all problems, and in fact, some question being raised in your letters are valid, especially those concerning the potential harm of ICT. The school adopts a multi-thronged approach to deal with them. First, to mitigate potential harm to students’ physical health, the school vows to beef up efforts to promote good posture among students when they are using electronic devices. And plans are in the pipeline to purchase more ergonomically-designed computer chairs. The rule of not staring at a handheld screen for more than 15 minutes will be strictly enforced. Secondly, a proactive approach is adopted to combat cyberbullying and to enhance students’ awareness of cybersecurity. We will launch a campaign to promote responsible and ethical online use, beginning with a poster design contest. Students’ welfare is our first and foremost concern.
A taste of what you get-- the comments
- Truly understands the reality of Hong Kong education, e.g. APASO, concerned parents, students who burn the midnight oil.
- Addressed all aspects of the question. Good to focus on the positive side rather than giving undue emphasis to the complaints.
- Polite tone is used to speak to parents. Diplomatic expressions like ‘We welcome your valuable comments’ and ‘I would like to take this opportunity to say that’ used appropriately in this context (addressing parents’ concerns).
- Tactful and positive tone adopted to communite to concerned parent. This is achieved by focusing on the positive side and using diplomatic expressions.
- Follows the format of an article in school magazine, e.g. use of title and author line.
- The use of idioms communicates a sense of lightness, suitable for a school magazine.
- Comparison of situation before and after implementation
- Great use of statistics and teachers’ opinion
Vocab and grammar
- Good use of a great variety of sophisticated vocabulary items, e.g. ‘a case in point, ‘mitigate’, ‘All work and no play make Jack a dull boy’.
- Good use of metaphors, e.g. ‘panacea’.
- Good use of phrasal verbs, e.g. ‘beef up’.
- Good use of a number of idioms, like ‘once in a blue moon’, ‘burning the midnight oil’. This communicates a sense of lightness, suitable for a school magazine.
- Good use of a great variety of sophisticated grammatical patterns, e.g. complex sentences, ‘not only… but also’ (inversion), ‘too shy to speak’ (adjective pattern), ‘written by some concerned parents’ (passive voice), ‘who, in their letters…’ (relative clause).
Organization and coherence
- Each paragraph deals with one aspect of content.
- Good use of connective devices between paragraphs, e.g. ‘to begin with’, and also good use of transition between paragraphs.
- Great use of topic sentences to preview the topic at hand and ending sentences to recap and extend the topic and transition to the next topic.
2020: professional development: https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2020
2019: toxic friendships: https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2019
2018: e-learning: https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-written-in-real-exam
2017: Gender (new): https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2017
2016: Quality of life (new): https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2016
2015: ‘Kong kids’ (new): https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2015
2014: Homestay (new): https://www.lpatnotes.com/product-page/lpat-writing-level-5-script-2014
Buy now because you deserve LPAT success - just a few clicks away.
此刻， LPAT理想 近在眼前